Customizing Your Lamp Shade for Your Base
If you already have a lamp base, you’ll want a custom lamp shade that complements it beautifully. When ordering a custom lamp shade by elle daniel, we’ll guide you every step of the way to determine the size, shape, style, and colors you need to match your base. Feel free to contact us now with any questions about our custom lamp shades.
Custom Lamp Shade Size
The larger your base, the larger your custom lamp shade needs to be. Here are some general guidelines and tips on sizing your custom lamp shade.
- Shade height should be approximately 3/4 the height of your base.
- Shade width should be approximately equal to the height of your base (bottom to socket).
- Shade width should be greater than the widest part of your base.
NOTE: For a reading lamp, you may want a shade with a wider bottom to filter more light.
Space between Shade & Bulb
It’s important to have enough space between your custom lamp shade and your light bulb. If your shade’s too close to the bulb, it can cause discoloration and far worse.
- Compact Fluorescents Bulbs: Allow at least 1-2 inches between shade and bulb.
- 40-60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs: Allow at least 1-2 inches between shade and bulb.
- 75-100 Watt Incandescent Bulbs: Allow at least 2-3 inches between shade and bulb.
- 150+ Watt Incandescent Bulbs: Allow at least 3-4 inches between shade and bulb.
NOTE: Never exceed the lamp’s maximum wattage.
Custom Lamp Shade Shape & Style
Consider the shape and style of your base. Is it modern, vintage, square, round? You’ll want a custom lamp shade that matches the overall “theme” of your base. Read more about Lamp Shade Styles & Shapes.
Custom Lamp Shade Color Tips
At elle daniel, we’re all about adding flair, beauty and style to your living space. So don’t be afraid of a little color! However, know that darker color shades and lighter color shades offer different benefits.
- Light colored lamp shades will allow more light to filter into the room.
- Dark colored lamp shades are great for ambience and mood.